Mandate my foot! The people rise against Trump

BY:John Bachtell| November 14, 2016
Mandate my foot! The people rise against Trump

Trump’s election did not represent a mandate for his policies. The majority of voters rejected them. That’s reflected in the youth, who are undaunted and already self-organizing in the #notmypresident protests.

What is urgently needed now is unity. Every conceivable movement and ally prepared to defend social advances and democratic norms must be mobilized, starting with the labor-led people’s movement, Black Lives Matter, climate justice groups, the Dreamers, the LGTBQ community, and women, in alliance with the Democratic Party and all parts of what was the Hillary Clinton electoral coalition, and those inspired by the Bernie Sanders campaign. Read more here.

Comments (17)

Sayantan Das | December 02, 2016 at 12:08 PM

TRUMP SAVED 1000 JOBS IN INDIANA AS PRES ELECT IN 8 DAYS. WORKING CLASS PEOPLE WILL BETRAY THEMSELVES IF THEY DONT VOTE FOR HIM

ron | November 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM

In my opinion his election will drive more people to the Communist and Socialist Parties!

snaders lotterey | January 26, 2017 at 6:30 PM

true

Reuben Perry | November 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM

I support the Communist Party because I just can’t stand Trump because he is for the 1%.

Heini | November 18, 2016 at 1:43 AM

Is democracy and communism synonomys? Kind of confused n seeking political guidance.

Gary Mueller | November 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM

I would recommend the article on the front page of this site, “Bill of rights Socialism” as a comprehensive and easy to grasp answer to your question.

matt abrams | November 22, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Communism is an economic system… democracy is a form of government… so we could vote to share wealth, we could vote to be selfish, we could have a dictator force capitalism on us, u could use a dictator to force communism… democracy can vote for whatever it wants, I happen to vote to share money, human life is invaluable and shouldn’t be monetized, normally I support the socialist party usa, but this neonazis talk in the news is pushing me to the safety of the communist party

Bill Schrier | November 26, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Pure democracy is NOT our form of government and we can NOT vote “for whatever we want”. The USA is a Constitutional Republic (thank god) where the mob majority does not get to vote for whatever it wants.

Miller | December 04, 2016 at 7:53 AM

Not necessarily; Marx didn’t really provide a detailed framework for how he thought the GOVERNMENT of a Communist country should run between the end of Capitalism and the achievement of a perfectly Communist, mostly-stateless society, so there are all kinds of theories about that, but the CPUSA is DEFINITELY pro-democracy and pro-Bill-of-Rights.

Jules Rensch | November 16, 2016 at 5:08 AM

Unity is found so perfectly in the phrasing of The Golden Rule:
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”

In solidarity, Jules

Paulo Henrique | November 20, 2016 at 12:59 AM

Just remember to make a exception when dealing with sadist and masochist people…

so just purge me already | November 16, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Comrade Chairman,
I truly find your mention/condemnation of, “Right-wing religious institutions and networks, especially right-wing evangelicals” as “purveyors of reactionary ideology” most disturbing as a member of this party.
Perhaps we could get the vote of those who should be our natural allies if you didn’t make blanket statements such as this that resurrect the old fears that we only want to board up the windows, chain the doors of the church, burn the Bibles, and hang the preacher.
Precisely how is it “reactionary” to hold any moral/religious position that serves your conscience? Are we not to have, under Communism, the right to true religious freedom? If you can tell me that my beliefs are somehow unacceptable, and therefore invalid, what IS the next step? Can I not (very) vocally object to that which violates my conscience? Can I not abstain from say a gay wedding if it violates my beliefs? So then I am reactionary and, therefore, to be condemned for exercising what should be a natural right?
If so, then it is no longer my religion but yours’, It will then become “state approved” religion. Sound familiar? It should… it’s the exact same thing evangelicals and all other Christians have been taught to fear in us.

John Bachtell | November 16, 2016 at 11:05 PM

That was certainly not the intent of that point.
    First, the CPUSA absolutely welcomes people of faith into our ranks and has an active Religion Commission that includes a number of clergy.
    I recognize that actually most people of faith are part of places of worship that fall on the progressive or moderate spectrum. I am merely speaking of the Evangelical Christians who themselves are split politically as you mention. But it is also true that 81% of white Evangelical Christians voted for Trump, including 75% of white women. This was the highest support for a GOP candidate since 2004. And the American Renewal Project, a network of the conservative and right wing Evangelical churches organized a get out the vote project in 6 key states for Trump, winning 5 of them. These churches were an integral part of the Trump GOTV machine.
    Having said all that, I firmly believe that people of faith will have to be a big part of the majority movement that will arise to block the Trump agenda and defend democracy. And these same Evangelical voters who supported Trump will have to be engaged, and the broader movements will unite with many on the basis of the issues, i.e. defending Medicare, Social Security, unions, etc.

Gabe Falsetta | November 15, 2016 at 3:58 AM

I heard an interesting comment last night, “the center is no longer acceptable, it’s either the right or the left. I had to add, the right has got it now.

Gary Mueller | November 14, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Bill Clinton did not understand labor, W was an idiot, Obama underestimated the vitriol of the Republican party and its racist and misogynist base and Hillary it seems was literally the victim of a schoolyard bully.
Sadly, this bully has teeth and a force behind him that could retard progressive achievements and send us back to the 1900s.
I second Chairman Bachtell, we must unite with anyone who sees equality with all races, sexes, progressive ideology and a core value of peace and solidarity with the environment
To borrow a phrase comrades, “Winter is coming”.

Mark Allen Kleiman | November 15, 2016 at 5:16 AM

I agree with Comrade Mueller that winter is coming, and agree with his seconding Chairman Bachtell’s call for what will basically be a United Front Against Fascism.

I write only to review two of the points he made in getting there. The points matter because they inform any strategic discussion of whether leading Democrats can have their “misunderstandings” or “underestimations” corrected. I don’t know whether Bill Clinton misunderstood labor. I do know that he disrespected and devalued it. Clinton moved from campus politics to Democratic party politics (in an anti-labor state, no less) without ever having to seriously think about the problems his working constituents faced. His whole “Third Way” line that led the Democratic Leadership Council in the late 70s and early 80s was an effort to split the difference between traditional New Deal liberalism and the economic theories of the ultra-right economist Friedrich Hayek. It was this capitulation, not some “misunderstanding” that gave us the repeal of Glass-Steagall and evisceration of anti-trust protection.

Even if Obama may once have underestimated the Republican party’s vitriol, he can surely have no illusions about it now. Yet LISTEN to him extend one olive branch after another to Trump, refusing to make it clear what a threat we face. If Obama genuinely sees this danger his silence is due to something other than “underestimation”. If he is blind to it even now, if the events of the last week and all of the racist outbreaks have not opened his eyes, we should never be tricked into believing that he — or his ilk will be.

So yes, we need a united front. And while we are in one, educating people about how the role of the neolibs in getting us into this mess is essential.

Gary Mueller | November 17, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Comrade Kleiman, I agree with you on every point you made.
      If the Communist party can do nothing else, it can reach deep into its history in order to educate and give focus to movements that might not see the place they hold in the wider scheme of democracy as opposed to the laser fixed objective of their caucus.
      A truth still rings out from the old maxim “The enemy of my enemy is my friend”
      To ally ourselves with the likes of neolibs in the fight against the promises of Donald Trump and his Fascist ilk can only make our point relevant to a wider margin of people who might otherwise feel disenfranchised or apathetic.