Whereas, Working-class consciousness cannot be genuine political consciousness unless the workers are trained to respond to all cases of tyranny, oppression, violence, and abuse, no matter what class is affected (Lenin); and,
Whereas, Lesbian, gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people face various forms of oppression and discrimination; and,
Whereas, hate crime based on sexual orientation is now the second-highest category of hate crimes in the United States, and hate crimes against LGBT people are increasing; and,
Whereas the ultra-right is using hatred and prejudice against LGBT people to divide the working class; and,
Whereas the Communist Party, USA is committed to fighting against oppression and for working-class unity;
Therefore be it resolved that the Communist Party, USA redouble its efforts to fight oppression of LGBT people; and,
Be it further resolved that the Communist Party step up its efforts to work for full equality for LGBT people; and,
Be it further resolved to establish a National Commission of the Party on the fight for LGBT rights and equality.
Adopted by the 28th National Convention of the Communist Party, USA, Chicago, IL; July 1-3, 2005.
Related Party Voices Articles
- Communist Party Resolves: Build the party, press and YCL
- Communist Party Resolves: End the wars — fund human needs not militarism
- Communist Party Resolves: Immigrant rights is a struggle for democracy
- Communist Party Resolves: All hands on deck for the 2010 midterm elections
- Communist Party Resolves: Build united action against racism and for unity